Sunday, December 27, 2009

How do you get your cat to stop scratching her scabs off and making herself bleed?

Now she has a big bloody spot on the back of her neck and wont stop scratching it. I'm afraid to put her collar back on until it's fully healed, but then she has no identification. It's not going to fully heal unless she stops scratching, bringing me to this question.


Again, if you have any reasonable answers, I would be delighted to read them.How do you get your cat to stop scratching her scabs off and making herself bleed?
Please start with trip to the vet. It could be that she is allergic to the collar (not uncommon especially with flea collars) or it bothers her in some other way. BTW, I think microchipping is the best way to deal with the identification issue -- especially if she ditches the collar.





It could be that she is having some sort of general allergic response in which case they might use predinosone.





I would avoid putting on her collar for the time being. I also don't think the elizabethan collar would help given that she is scrathing the area not biting it.How do you get your cat to stop scratching her scabs off and making herself bleed?
Of course I would suggest taking her to the Vet to see why she's doing this, usually it's because of anxiety or undue stress that a cat opens her own skin.


Until then I would reccomend putting soft paws on her:


http://www.softpaws.com/


They're amazing, I use them on my kitty and he doesn't even bother with them they're so natural for him. They don't reccomend putting it on the back claws, however in this case you may want to until your kitty's better, I would just suggest not letting her outdoors for the time being since she would then have no way to defend herself. Sorry to hear about her! Poor girl.
An E-collar
have you tryed an elizabeth collar that way she wont be able to scratch it or any thing else that way it can heal on its own

No comments:

Post a Comment