Friday, January 8, 2010

What are some tips to making up a bed at our age?

I was wondering if anyone is having problems (physically) making up the bed these days? Especially putting on the mattress protectors. I feel like a pro-wrestler sometimes.What are some tips to making up a bed at our age?
Sometimes even making up your bed is a chore. I have a little reach extender called a '; Grabber '; that serves to extend my reach about 18 inches. This little gizmo comes in handy often. Get one at the drug store, at the hardware store at the mercantile, at the grocery or at ';The Grabber Store '; coming soon to a settlement near you.What are some tips to making up a bed at our age?
I rest as soon as I get tired and start furthering the chore later, especially the mattress pad and fitted sheets. Mine's a queen. For routine, you're gonna laugh unless you've heard it already. I thought my mother invented it. She told me how to make the bed before you get out of it.


You get in the middle and center-up the sheet with your hands wide, then do a spread eagle for both bottom corners, pulling the sheet taut. For any blanket, you do the same, then for the bedcover. You throw a top corner and get out. Then all you have to do is throw the top corner back, and smooth any part you might have missed.
Don't get the kind that is a pillowcase covering the entire thing. I have a king size bed and a princess size heart. It would kill me. Really what gets under any way? But if you are really concerned get two fitted type mattress protectors. I like the kind that has olastic underneath but material on top. Bugs can't get through the plastic and I don't feel or sweat from the plastic. Put one on. Working catty corner makes it much easier. Then flip the whole mattress or have a strong cute guy do it. Place the other one one top. Again going catty corner.Wash it whenever. They


also have new (I think Lysol makes it) product that kills bed bugs and mites but smells nice. Spray the mattress protector, mattress whatever, pillowsand make the bed. Wash the protector from time to time. When it'a time to turn the mattress, wash the one that was on the bottom. Put it back and spray it. Make bed. Much easier. And if you get the cute guy,,, an added bonus. *edie* sounds sill but while you are still in bed, pull up the sheet, then blanket ,the bedspread or comforter. Flip the side you get out of over gently. Slide out and straightn a little.Viola ! The Magic silf making bed!
We are taught from childhood to make up a bed a certain way, to buy certain kinds of sheets and comforters and such. And to pay high prices for same no matter what. When one becomes a senior there is no need to prove one's self anymore, and because usually there will be no others in the house besides yourself (yourselves) there is no need to follow the norms. Why not just be comfortable with what you ';can'; do? For me there is no further need for sheets. I use two quilts, one for the top and one for the bottom and just throw them over the bed and tuck them in neatly.
I always put the fitted sheets on the wrong end of the mattress and have to redo it. I put a tiny button on the ends of the sheets that go from head to foot, no more confusion. Most times I don't make the bed, my room is neat but no one sees my bedroom except family. I keep plastic mattress covers on all the beds, I also do this for all my pillows. Poppy
You make me realize just how lucky I am. I have not changed or made my own bed for some 15 years now. I do how ever have to supervise as they keep putting the mattress cover on upside down, same with the cover sheet. I do remember the turning of the mattress and how aggressive and angry it could become.
I am blessed with good health, spryness, and strength.


I do not look, feel or act my age.


As for my bed, I do not even bother with a top sheet or blanket or comforter anymore. I LOVE to wrap myself up like a mummy in my soooo soft quilt and hybernate for the night.


Making my bed is a breeze. Just straighten out the quilt. Presto - done !!
Helping Hand Reachers.





There are helping hand reachers at stores for helping with bedmaking


Call the Local Hospital and they will give you phone numbers. Where devices can be purchased.


http://www.medisave.co.uk/32-inch-helpin鈥?/a>


Easy Bedmaking.


http://housekeeping.about.com/od/bedroom鈥?/a>
Have a friend who's bed is always made. She puts a sheet on top of the made bed and another one to cover her when she lays down and a blanket.





In the morning she puts them in a closet, she hasn't made the bed in months.
I have found the easiest way to make the bed is to have the maid do it! My back will not tolerate bending over like that...not a good way to start off the day!
I feel like that when I rotate my king size mattress. Whata chore! Sometimes I think it would be better for me to sleep on the floor.
i use hospital corners, occupational hazard.

No comments:

Post a Comment